Jump to content
Street Rod and Muscle Car Service
Sign in to follow this  
rivermobster

How to plan a Serious upgrade!

Recommended Posts

On this Bronco, we added EFI, electric cooling fans, air conditioning, electronic ignition (to support the EFI) and all kinna other good stuff!  Lot's of electronics for a vehicle that was never designed for it.  Lemme walk you through how I got it all done...

 

20151124_113117.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't do this many mods without a solid plan, so first thing was to get all with wiring diagrams together, from all the systems we are going to add on.  Then make one all new wiring diagram as a map. 

At this point, all we really care about it power and ground for all the different systems, so we identify those so we can know how we need to proceed.

20150915_205022.jpg

20150915_205057.jpg

20150915_205109.jpg

20150915_205124.jpg

20150915_205144.jpg

20150915_205201.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kids has a good time making fun of me, when I asked to use their colored pencils!  lol

But any good wiring diagram needs to be on color, so we can identify everything easily, and know what color wiring to use.  We want everything to match when it's done, to be able to easily diagnose problems later.

The final result looked something like this...

20151109_131948.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably notice there is no alternator or voltage regulator included in my wiring diagram.  That's because I ditched all that stock stuff!  With so many electronics, the stock alternator was NOT going to cut it.  Nor was a stock (problematic) voltage regulator.  Those components were replaced with a One Wire Power Master Alternator.  This eliminates a whole bunch of engine wires, gives us the power we need to support all the electronics, and simplifies the whole wiring job.  We run the one wire to the stock starter solenoid, and the battery gets charged right there.  Easy easy.  :thumbsUp:

 

PWM-8-57100_xl.jpg

20150915_105648.jpg

20150915_160403.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you know anything about Bronco's, you know there is zero spare room anywhere!  So I put everything in a box.  A quick trip to the local electronics warehouse, and I got everything that I needed.  This place is like a candy store to me!  http://www.orvac.com/

First thing I did was figure out HOW to fit everything in said box!  I bought a box roughly the same size as the flat spot on the passenger side fender well, so I had a limited amount of room to use.  It took a bit of planning (called trial and error), but eventually I got all the components to fit.  Everything had to be mounted and the holes cut and drilled, then I panted the box to match the engine compartment.  We used a type of bed liner paint for durability. Very time consuming, but in the end it came out quite nicely.

20150918_112343.jpg

20150918_161915.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next step is to mount and route everything.  Another time consuming adventure!  Having a map (well thought out wiring diagram) makes this go pretty easy.  But there is still a LOT that needs to be done.

Step one is to strip Everything (old components) out!

20150921_175335.jpg

20150925_095259.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the limited amount of space that we had, we went with a Mattson Radiator and a sidewinder cooling fan they supplied. http://www.mattsonscustomradiator.com/

And even then everything didn't fit!  I had to modify the cooing fan configuration a bit, to get it to fit into place.  Another trial and error kinna deal, but it all worked out in the end. Even with the 331 stroker engine, it stays nice and cool all the time.  Even with the A/C full blast!

20150929_112810.jpg

20151007_193609.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all was said and done, everything came out very clean. Most of the electrical components were hidden, and protected by the box that we made, and everything else just fell into place.  This was a huge project that took a whole lot of time, but the end result was Very worth it.  Smooth powerful engine that has great drivablity and will NOT over heat, and it all looks tidy and neat.  This vehicle also got a Ford overdrive automatic trans.  Early enough model that no computer controls were required!

It was a very fun project to work on.  :approved:

20151124_112939.jpg

20151124_112951.jpg

20151124_113009.jpg

20151124_113042.jpg

20151124_113139.jpg

20151124_113220.jpg

20151124_113504.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...