Street Rod and Muscle Car Service
Sign in to follow this  
Obnoxious001

Discuss this engine

* Disclaimer-  I did not build, nor do I own this engine!

Here's a fine example of what's supposed to be inside a big block Chevy engine, although it's not necessarily in the original configuration.  Please discuss.  Anyone care to guess what happened to it?

IMG_20170118_173950_393.jpg

IMG_20170118_173955_852.jpg

IMG_20170118_174014_781.jpg

• Like 1

For those of you that don't know...

Obnoxious/Barry is one dam fine engine builder!!  He specializes in Marine engines, and is located in Parker AZ.  He is a good guy, and will be a huge asset around these parts.  :thumbsUp:

Now as far as what happened here...

What's with all that nasty grit that's everywhere???  :shocker:

25 minutes ago, rivermobster said:

What's with all that nasty grit that's everywhere???  :shocker:

I think it's a mixture of water, oil, connecting rod bits, piston bits and bearing bits.

The best thing about this engine is there are less parts to disassemble.

25 minutes ago, rivermobster said:

Just now, Obnoxious001 said:

I think it's a mixture of water, oil, connecting rod bits, piston bits and bearing bits.

The best thing about this engine is there are less parts to disassemble.

Yeah, no doubt about that!  lol

What did it come out of??

2 minutes ago, rivermobster said:

What did it come out of??

Mead Snake's flatbottom.  I have not pulled the other 6 rods, but there are clues in the photo to indicate what possibly happened.  Of course this is a car forum, so many won't have as much of an understanding of boats.

2 minutes ago, Obnoxious001 said:

Mead Snake's flatbottom.  I have not pulled the other 6 rods, but there are clues in the photo to indicate what possibly happened.  Of course this is a car forum, so many won't have as much of an understanding of boats.

There are one or two boaters around here.  ;)

It's hard to tell (cause of the windage tray) but it looks like there were some clearance issues?  The pan looks dented where the rear rod journal hit it.  Or maybe that just from parts flying around in there?  Is the rest of the pan like that??

There is a lot going on in those pics...shesh!

The engine ran for years, so I do not suspect bearing clearance was the cause.  Looking at what's left of the one piston, you would have to think that most of the "grit" is aluminum, since the steel rods break differently, I can try with a magnet, but pretty sure I am correct on that.  With the two rods that broke, the windage tray and oil pan are swiss cheese.  Some hammering and grinding of the pan was necessary to remove some of the pan bolts.

17 minutes ago, Obnoxious001 said:

The engine ran for years, so I do not suspect bearing clearance was the cause.  Looking at what's left of the one piston, you would have to think that most of the "grit" is aluminum, since the steel rods break differently, I can try with a magnet, but pretty sure I am correct on that.  With the two rods that broke, the windage tray and oil pan are swiss cheese.  Some hammering and grinding of the pan was necessary to remove some of the pan bolts.

Yeah, clearance defiantly not an issue then.

I've never seen a crank wiped out quite that bad.  Un-naturally aspirated engine??

32 minutes ago, rivermobster said:

Yeah, clearance defiantly not an issue then.

I've never seen a crank wiped out quite that bad.  Un-naturally aspirated engine??

I have seen some similarly ugly ones before.  This one was a tunnel ram supposedly 10.5-1, in an actual circle race Hallett flat.

7 minutes ago, Obnoxious001 said:

I have seen some similarly ugly ones before.  This one was a tunnel ram supposedly 10.5-1, in an actual circle race Hallett flat.

Sounds like it had a good long life then.  So what made it finally let go??

Like I said above, will see when I get it torn down the rest of the way, but was looking to see if anyone might guess from the visual clues.  Of course, I happened to be watching him running the boat when it broke.  I knew it wasn't going to be good when he was climbing around the engine like a monkey!

45 minutes ago, Obnoxious001 said:

Like I said above, will see when I get it torn down the rest of the way, but was looking to see if anyone might guess from the visual clues.  Of course, I happened to be watching him running the boat when it broke.  I knew it wasn't going to be good when he was climbing around the engine like a monkey!

Gotta watch out for them headers!  :shocker:   Post more pics as it comes apart. :thumbsUp:

Pulled out two more rods and pistons, engine will not rotate with crank socket.  One of the other rod bearings with down into the copper, the 2nd one was not nearly as bad.  Maybe I can find time to get the rest apart tomorrow, hasn't been a priority since it's not getting rebuilt.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Obnoxious001 said:

Pulled out two more rods and pistons, engine will not rotate with crank socket.  One of the other rod bearings with down into the copper, the 2nd one was not nearly as bad.  Maybe I can find time to get the rest apart tomorrow, hasn't been a priority since it's not getting rebuilt.

What are you replacing it with?? 

19 hours ago, rivermobster said:

What are you replacing it with?? 

This one won't be replaced, he sold the boat.  I wanted to see what failed, and just pull the head studs and whatever else could be saved.

1 hour ago, Obnoxious001 said:

This one won't be replaced, he sold the boat.  I wanted to see what failed, and just pull the head studs and whatever else could be saved.

Got it.  Post more pics of the carnage when you can.  :thumbsUp: